Magic Tree House NO PREP (ELA)

First off can I begin with how much I LOVE the Magic Tree House series?? I recently posted about 10 different ways this extremely versatile series can be used in a primary classroom. I have been working on NO PREP packs for each book that focus on phonics and grammar skills.

Wow. Once I got into these books a little deeper, I found so many different ways to teach using these books! So far I have the first 15 books done and bundled in different sets for major savings!
I am working on the 16th book right now and am trying to include as many CCS for K-2 as possible. To check out all of my NO PREP resources CLICK HERE
 

 


These packs are posted for Kindergarten through second grade but certainly can be adapted for students in the intermediate levels who are struggling with particular skills. The pages follow words from the text along wit clip art but could be pulled for different uses as well. You certainly do NOT have to read the text to complete these units. The books are simply to incorporate as many ELA skills as possible into one neat and tidy theme.

All of the sets begin with the same type of pages for phonics practice:
  • beginning sounds
  • medial sounds
  • ending sounds
  • phoneme split
  • phoneme delete
  • phoneme switch
  • syllables
  • real vs. nonsense
 
Each set does not have the same set of skills covered. Some have similar pages or skills that are focused on. Please don't think I simply switched out the graphics for each set and they are all the same! Trust me, I would be done with the entire series (and I heard book #53 is just released!!!) by now. I really am trying to focus on as many necessary skills for K-2 as possible.

Text Features
  • diagrams, glossary, title page, index
Parts of Speech
  • nouns, pronouns, proper nouns, verbs, adverbs, adjectives
Grammar/ELA Skills
  • Using your senses to describe words
  • Possessives
  • Synonyms vs. Antonyms
  • Compound Words
  • ABC Order
  • Rhyming
  • Dictionary Skills: Guide Words
  • Homophones
  • Figurative Language: Hyperbole, Onomatopoeia, Simile, Personification, Alliteration
  • Sight Words
  • Which Word Doesn't Belong (a word that does not begin with the same letter)
  • Comparing Facts
  • Venn Diagrams
  • Fact vs. Opinion
  • Quotation Marks & Punctuation & Contractions
  • Spelling Practice
  • Long & Short Vowels
  • Verb Tenses
  • How many words in a sentence
  • Sequencing
  • Riddles
  • Cause & Effect
  • CVC Words
  • Apostrophes
  • Blends

Writing
  • Haiku Poetry
  • Describing Characters
  • Describing Settings
  • Writing Friendly Letters
  • Addressing Envelopes
  • Creating a scene (adding details to a picture and writing about it)
  • Writing Details
  • Main Idea
  • Sentence scrambles


Whew! I am sure there is more that I missed but this should give you an idea of what you are exposing your little ones too with this series! The best part is they can be used for small groups, homework, morning work, centers, and so much more! They are ink friendly and can even be bundled together for a packet as you go through the book!

I would love to hear what you think!!
 

 

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment